Thursday, September 22, 2011

W3: Teachers

As we're transitioning into the next section of the class, we'll be talking about cookbook authors, bloggers, and television hosts--people who, in part--are trying to teach us about food and cooking. Who have been the "teachers" in your life? Who has taught you about cooking and food (and what did they teach you)?

If you don't like or know how to cook, feel free to get creative with this prompt. What do you know (even if you don't feel like it's a lot)? For example, I'm remembering the friend who taught me to make grilled cheese without the stove, enabling a new after-school snack. She would put the bread in the toaster and then butter it, add the cheese, and microwave it to make the cheese melt. My best friend Jenifer taught me that peanut butter and jelly was even better if you grilled it (butter = better). She would make her sandwich, butter it, and then grill it just like grilled cheese. And now that I think about it, on that same visit she introduced me to the fried hot dog--a hot dog pan fried in butter with a little worcestershire.

Now none of these is haute cuisine. None is going to win a prize. But both of these people did teach me something about food. So if you need to expand your definition of "teach" for this post, then have at it.

And in honor of one of America's best known food teachers, I give you: The Chicken Sisters!


No comments:

Post a Comment